How do you create community buildings with impact?
For over 40 years, HCMA has helped local governments across Canada deliver extraordinary public buildings.
Buildings that put people and the planet first.
In this book and online course, we guide you through the whole process, from your initial vision, to measuring success when your project is complete.
Underpinning each step are the principles we believe will maximize your project's impact, and dotted throughout are lessons we’ve learned along the way—things we wish we’d known then, but definitely know now.
Most of all, we hope to encourage you to ask 'what's possible?' when creating a place for people to come together to socialize, relax, play, learn, and share.
We will cover:
- What happens at each stage of a building project
- The typical decisions you will need to make
- How to get your project off the ground
- How to build your internal team
- How to hire your design team
- How to engage your community (beyond generic open houses)
- How to set social and environmental impact goals
- How to manage your budget
- How to avoid the most common (and the most costly) tripping hazards
- Why we need to go beyond building codes
- How to measure the impact and performance of your project
- How to create inclusive, accessible spaces for your whole community to enjoy.